The Community of the Sacred Name was founded in Christchurch in 1893 by Sister Edith (Deaconess). She was released from the Community of St Andrew in London to establish an indigenous community to respond to the needs of the colonial Church. A wide variety of teaching, childcare and parish work has been undertaken over the years. Today there are five houses. Since 1966, the Sisters have run a large children's home in Fiji and now also run St Mary's girls' hostel at Labasa, Vanua Levu. Three Sisters have returned to Christchurch and are currently living in the retreat house, which was part of the Barbadoes Street property. Four Sisters are based in Ashburton where we do ecclesiastical embroidery. Underpinning all the work is a life of worship.
Name: Mother Keleni CSN
Mother Superior, assumed office 9 November 2006
Address: 300 Tuam Street, Christchurch, 8011, New Zealand
Tel: +64 (0)3 366 8245
Email: Click here for email