Egypt provided a refuge for Jesus, Mary and Joseph when they fled Herod soon after Jesus' birth; but Christianity itself arrived in the country through St Mark the Evangelist, who became the first Patriarch and Pope of Alexandria – the founder of the Coptic Orthodox Church and the Patron Saint of Egypt. The first official Anglican presence in Egypt began in 1819 when CMS missionaries, working with the blessing of the Coptic Patriarch, began distributing the Gospels in Arabic.
The first Anglican Church in Egypt, St Mark's in Alexandria, was consecrated on 17 December 1839. Less than 40 years later, on 23 January 1876, All Saints’ Church in Cairo was consecrated. This small parish church was to become the setting for All Saints Cathedral. The second All Saints Cathedral was consecrated on 25 April 1938 – the Feast of St Mark. It was destroyed in 1978. The third – and present – All Saint's Cathedral was commissioned on 25 April 1988. Its design has been likened to a Bedouin tent (because Christianity is mobile) and a lotus flower (because Christians are to offer the sweet fragrance of Christ).
In January 1976, the Diocese of Egypt with North Africa and the Horn of Africa became part of the new Episcopal / Anglican Province of Jerusalem and the Middle East. In May 2020, following a period of sustained growth – particularly in the Gambella region of Ethiopia - the diocese became independent of Jerusalem and the Middle East, becoming the 41st Province of the Anglican Communion.