Provincial Directory - Religious Communities

Adelaide  Sisters of the Incarnation

Adelaide  Society of the Sacred Mission (Australia)

Ballarat  Order of St Benedict St Mark's Priory, Camperdown

Brisbane  Oratory of the Good Shepherd

Brisbane  Society of the Sacred Advent

Grafton  Community of the Sisters of the Church (Australia)

Grafton  Little Brothers of Francis

Newcastle (AUS)  Community of the Holy Name (Australia)

Newcastle (AUS)  Society of St Francis (Australia/New Zealand Province)

Wangaratta  Community of Christ the King (Benedictine)

 Top

SI - Sisters of the Incarnation 

Founded 1981

The sisters live under vows of poverty, chastity and obedience in a simple life style, and seek to maintain a balance between prayer, community life and work for each member and to worship and serve within the church. They combine the monastic and apostolic aspects of the Religious Life. The monastic aspects include prayer, domestic work at home, community life and hospitality. The sisters are engaged in parish ministry and exercise a Ministry in Spirituality from the House of the Incarnation at Dover Gardens.

The community was founded in the diocese of Adelaide in 1981 as a contemporary expression of the Religious Life for women in the Anglican Church. In 1988, the two original sisters made their Profession of Life Intention within the Sisters of the Incarnation, before the Archbishop of Adelaide, the Visitor of the community. One member was ordained to the diaconate in 1990 and the priesthood in 1993. The governing body of the community is its chapter of professed sisters, which elects the Guardian, and appoints an Episcopal Visitor and a Community Advisor. The community is not endowed; the sisters work to earn sufficient for their needs.

Contact Details

Name: Sister Patricia SI  (Guardian, assumed office 1981)
Address: The House of the Incarnation, 6 Sherbourne Terrace, Dover Gardens, SA, 5048, Australia
Tel: +61 (0)8 8296 2166
Email: Email

 Top

SSM - Society of the Sacred Mission (Australia) 

Founded 1893

Founded in 1893 by Father Herbert Kelly, the Society is a means of uniting the devotion of ordinary people, using it in the service of the Church. Members of the Society share a common life of prayer and fellowship in a variety of educational, pastoral and community activities in England, Australia, Japan, Lesotho, and South Africa.

Contact Details

Name: Fr Christopher Myers SSM 
Address: St John's Priory, 14 St John's Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000, Australia
Tel: +61 (0)8 8223 1014
Fax: +61 (0)8 8223 2764
Email: Email

 Top

OSB - Order of St Benedict St Mark's Priory, Camperdown 

Founded 1975

The Community was founded in the parish of St Mark, Fitzroy, in the archdiocese of Melbourne on 8 November 1975, when the first two monks were clothed. In 1980, after working in this inner city parish for five years, and after adopting the Rule of Saint Benedict, they moved to the country town of Camperdown in the Western District of Victoria. Here the Community lives a contemplative monastic life with the emphasis on the balanced life of prayer and work that forms the Benedictine ethos. In 1993, the Chapter decided to admit women and to endeavour to establish a mixed community of monks and nuns. To this end, two nuns came from Malling Abbey (UK) and one has transferred her stability to Camperdown. The Community supports itself through the operation of a printery, icon reproduction, crafts and a small guest house. A permanent monastery has now been built and the monastery church was consecrated by the diocesan bishop in February 1995.

On July 11th 2002, the community gathered for an Election Chapter at which Dom Michael King was elected the first Abbot of the monastery. He was duly blessed by the Bishop Visitor in the Abbey Church on the Feast of the Transfiguration, August 6th 2002, in the presence of five bishops of the Australian Church, the Abbot of Tarrawarra, the Prior of New Norcia, and a large gathering of oblates and friends of the community.

Contact Details

Name: The Rt Revd Dom Michael King OSB  (Abbot, assumed office 11 July 2002)
Address: PO Box 111, Camperdown, VIC, 3260, Australia
Tel: +61 (0)3 5593 2348
Fax: +61 (0)3 5593 2887
Email: Email

 Top

OGS - Oratory of the Good Shepherd 

Founded 1913

The Oratory of the Good Shepherd is a society of priests and laymen founded at Cambridge (UK), which now has provinces in North America, Australia, Southern Africa and Great Britain.

Oratorians are bound together by a common Rule and discipline; members do not generally live together in community. The brethren are grouped in 'colleges' and meet regularly for prayer and support, and each province meets annually for retreat and chapter. Every three years, the General Chapter meets, presided over by the Superior of the whole Oratory, whose responsibility is to maintain the unity of the provinces. Consecration of life in the Oratory has the twin purpose of fostering the individual brother's personal search for God in union with his brethren, and as a sign of the Kingdom. So through the apostolic work of the brethren, the Oratory seeks to make a contribution to the life and witness of the whole Church.

In common with traditional communities, the Oratory requires celibacy. Brothers are accountable to their brethren for their spending and are expected to live simply and with generosity. The ideal spiritual pattern includes daily Eucharist, Offices, and an hour of prayer. Study is also regarded as important in the life. During the time of probation which lasts one or two years, the new brother is cared for and nurtured in the Oratory life by another brother of his College. The brother may then, with the consent of the province, make his first profession, which is renewed annually for at least five years, though with the hope of intention and perseverance for life. After five years, profession can be made for a longer period, and after ten years a brother may, with the consent of the whole Oratory, make his profession for life.

Contact Details

Name: Trevor Bulled OGS  (Provincial, assumed office 1996)
Address: Holy Trinity Rectory, PO Box 1220, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane, QLD, 4006, Australia
Email: Email


 Top

SSA - Society of the Sacred Advent 

Founded 1892

The Society of the Sacred Advent exits for the glory of God and for the service of His Church in preparation for the Second Coming of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Members devote themselves to God in community under vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. Our life is a round of prayer, silence and work. Our Patron is John the Baptist who, by his life and death, pointed the way to Jesus. We would hope also to point the way to Jesus in our own time, to a world which has largely lost touch with spiritual realities and is caught up in despair, loneliness and fear.

The Society has two schools. However, Sisters no longer have a day-to-day involvement. Two Sisters are on each of the School Councils. St Margaret's School has day and boarding students; St Aidan's has day students only. Both schools are for girls only.

Contact Details

Name: Sister Gillian SSA  (Revd Mother, assumed office 21st December 2004)
Address: Community House, 34 Lapraik Street, Albion, QLD, 4010, Australia
Tel: +64 (0)7 3262 5511
Fax: +64 (0)7 3862 3296
Email: Email

 Top

CSC - Community of the Sisters of the Church (Australia) 

Arrived in Australia 1892. Established as a separate Province 1965

Founded by Emily Ayckbowm in 1870, the Community of the Sisters of the Church is an international body of women within the Anglican Communion, living under the gospel values of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience, desiring to be faithful to the traditions of Religious Life while exploring new ways of expressing them and of living community life and ministry today. By our worship, ministry and life in community, we desire to be channels of the reconciling love and acceptance of Christ, to acknowledge the dignity of every person, and to enable others to encounter the living God whom we seek.

The Community's patrons are St Michael and the angels pointing us to a life both of worship and active ministry, of mingled adoration and action.

Our name, Sisters of the Church, reminds us that our particular dedication is to the mystery of the Church as the Body of Christ in the world.

The houses have varying timetables of corporate worship. The Eucharist and Divine Office (usually fourfold) are the heart of our Community life.

Contact Details

Name: Linda Mary Shuttle CSC  (Provincial, assumed office November 1999)
Address: 29 Lika Drive , Kempsey, NSW, 2440, Australia
Tel: +61 265 622 313
Fax: +61 265 622 314
Email: Email
Website: www.tap.net/csc

Other Addresses:

Address: Apt.9/ 66-70 Parramatta Road, Camperdown, NSW, 2050 Australia
Tel: +61 295 162 407
Email: francescsc@ozemail.com.au

Address: Unit15/75 St John's Road, Glebe, NSW, 2037, Australia
Tel: +61 296 608 020

Address: Apt 310/99 River Street, South Yarra, Victoria, 3141, Australia
Tel: +61 398 271 658

Address: 59 Hibiscus Crescent, Newcomb, Victoria, 3219, Australia
Tel: +61 352 481 808
Email: elisahelencsc@bigpond.com


 Top

LBF - Little Brothers of Francis 

Founded 1987

A deep longing for God is central to our way of life, and in Christ we see the perfect expression of God's longing and love for us. The Christ of the Gospels thus becomes the pattern of our lives. This same pattern was the inspiration of Francis's life.

It is the Francis whose life was Christ-centred; who sought places of solitude; who loved the whole of creation; and who tried to live a simple, uncluttered life,that has encouraged us in our Christian vocation. Accordingly LBF have chosen to live outside a small country town in the rocky foothills of the mountains, locally described as 'rubbish country'. There we try to touch the primitive spirit that moulded the beginning of the Franciscan family, especially the tradition of the hermitages.

The lifestyle of the brothers is reflected in the way the property is set out, with individual huts scattered through the bush around a central community building. The huts provide each brother with a place of solitude, while the community area is for times of communal work, worship, meals, etc. We try to be as self-supporting as possible, with a vegetable garden, orchard, bees, goats, sheep and poultry to supply some of our food needs. We have also tried to use alternative energy sources, where possible. Similarly, we have done most of our own building.

From time to time, we may leave to preach, give a lecture, or do work of some kind, but the desire to return to our place is fundamental to our spirituality. The brothers seek to remember that prayer is the foundation of their every activity. We aim to acquire a constant sense of God's presence, and nurture our relationship with Christ by daily prayer together and in solitude.

Each brother has responsibility for certain areas of the community's life. Decision-making is by consensus.

Contact Details

Address: Franciscan Hermitage, Eremophilia, PO Box 162, Tabulam, NSW, 2469, Australia
Email: Email
Website: www.franciscanhermitage.org

 Top

CHN - Community of the Holy Name (Australia) 

Founded 1888

The Community of the Holy Name was founded within the Diocese of Melbourne by Emma Caroline Silcock (Sister Esther) in 1888. The work of the community was initially amongst the poor and disadvantaged in the slum areas of inner-city Melbourne.

Over the years, the Sisters have sought to maintain a balance between a ministry to those in need and a commitment to the Divine Office, personal prayer and a daily Eucharist.

Throughout much of its history, the community was involved in prison and court work, children's homes, hospitals, hostels, retreat houses, a girl's secondary school and an indigenous community in Papua New Guinea.

In these post-institution times, Sisters are now actively engaged in parishes, AIDS and drug and alcohol ministries. Chaplaincies in hospitals (both general and psychiatric) and nursing homes, as well as in spiritual direction and leading retreats.

Contact Details

Name: Josephine Margaret CHN  (Mother Superior, assumed office April 2005)
Address: Community House, 40 Cavanagh Street, Cheltenham, VIC, 3192, Australia
Tel: +61 (0)3 9583 2087
Fax: +61 (0)3 9585 2932
Email: Email

 Top

SSF - Society of St Francis (Australia/New Zealand Province) 

Founded 1921

The Society of St Francis has diverse origins in a number of Franciscan groups which drew together during the 1930s to found one Franciscan Society. SSF in its widest definition includes First Order Brothers, First Order Sisters (CSF), Second Order Sisters (OSC) and a Third Order. The First Order shares a common life of prayer, fraternity and a commitment to the poor.

SSF friars went from England to Papua New Guinea in the late 1950s and the first Australian house was established in 1964. The first New Zealand house followed in 1970. In 1981, the Pacific Province was divided into two: Australia/New Zealand and the Pacific Islands.

Contact Details

Name: Alfred BoonKong SSF  (Minister Provincial, assumed office 1 May 2003)
Address: The Hermitage, PO Box 46, Stroud, NSW, 2425, Australia
Tel: +2 4994 5372
Fax: +2 4994 5527
Email: Email
Website: http://www.franciscan.org.au

Other Addresses


 Top

CCK - Community of Christ the King (Benedictine) 

Founded 1993

The Community of Christ the King is an Anglican Benedictine order, enclosed and contemplative. Its members endeavour to glorify God in a life of prayer under the threefold vow of Stability, Conversion of Life and Obedience. They follow a rhythm of life centred on the worship of God in the Daily Eucharist and sevenfold Office.

The convent nestles at the foot of the Warby Ranges in Victoria, Australia. It is surrounded by attractive flower gardens, a citrus orchard and a kitchen garden. The fruit and vegetables ensure a certain amount of self-sufficiency, and affords the opportunity and privilege of manual labour, essential to the contemplative life.

Hospitality aimed at helping visitors deepen their spiritual lives through prayer is a feature of the life. The property with its extensive views, bush walks and seclusion is ideally suited to relaxation, quiet reflection and retreat. It is ringed by fourteen large crosses providing opportunity for meditation on the way of the cross, and for prayer in solitude. We hold silent retreats and hope to develop this outreach.

Contact Details

Name: Mother Rita Mary CCK  (Revd Mother, assumed office 31 July 1997)
Address: 344 Taminick Gap Road, South Wangaratta, Victoria, 3678, Australia
Tel: +61-(0)3 5725 7343